First impressions are everything, and they happen in a matter of seconds. In fact, in the first 30 seconds of a job interview, the employer has generally also decided whether or not they like you. 30 seconds to sell yourself. 30 seconds.
That sounds short, right? So what if I told you that you had to sell yourself in SIX seconds? Could you do it? That’s just what marketers on Vine have to do. Vine is a social media site that allows the user to post 6-second videos. Six. Seconds. How do you get someone to listen in a period of time that you can hardly say your name and title?
It can be done, just like it can be done in 140 characters, but it’s hard and I don’t think many brands have the formula yet. – Thomas Messett
Messett is the head of digital marketing for Nokia Europe. Even though it’s possible, like all things there are some essential tips / rules to follow, according to Social Times on Ad Week, such :
- Lead By Example. Using humor and science is one way to really draw in attention. Everyone loves to laugh, and everyone loves to be mind-blown. So use these two as part of your algorithm to success.
- Use those six seconds to anchor your video to a more cultural or narrative reference point
Fast company had some suggestions of their own:
- Remember it’s only 6 seconds, so don’t try to fit too much information in
- Use Vine’s stop-motion effects
- Use hashtags
- Wait until you love it to post it – you can’t edit it once it’s been published!
- Share it as widely as possible
Check out some examples of really well done vine marketing campaigns!